Tadoussac has been inhabited for thousands of years by ancient civilizations, with artefacts discovered from over 8,000 years ago. Jacques Cartier arrived at Tadoussac in 1535, followed by many famous explorers, including Pierre de Chauvin and Samuel de Champlain.
In the 1600’s, Tadouassc was the site of a major fur trading post operated by the Hudson’s Bay Company until 1852. After the end of the fur trade, Tadoussac was forced to find a new industry and discovered forestry. This lasted until the late 1800’s, when all the white pine trees had been logged and Tadoussac was again forced to undergo another search for an industry to support the village.
Tourists discovered Tadoussac in the early 1900’s and it is known today as a vacation destination, famous for its rugged beauty of the Saguenay fjord and whale watching expeditions.
There are many theories about the name Tadoussac. The most widely believed theory is the First Nations Montagnais called the area Tatouskak. Over the course of history, there have been over 10 different spellings of the name, one of the oldest names in the New World.